Director of Development
Maestro Cares Foundation (MCF) is a fast-paced, growing nonprofit organization.
About Maestro Cares Foundation
Maestro Cares Foundation (MCF) improves the quality of life of disadvantaged children and communities in Latin America and the United States. We do so by providing housing, educational programming and the essential resources to support their growth and development. Through our efforts, we’re strengthening communities and helping children become tomorrow’s leaders. To date, Maestro Cares Foundation has established 24 projects in 13 countries including projects in Chicago, New York, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Chile, etc.
The Maestro Cares Foundation (MCF) is seeking a proven fundraiser and leader to serve as the next Director of Development. The Director of Development reports to the Board Chairman and Executive Director, and, as a member of the leadership team, directs the organization’s fundraising and public engagement efforts. With a primary focus on donor strategy, the Director of Development leads the advancement team in development, communication, and brand management efforts. MCF seeks a Director of Development who will support the organization’s comprehensive efforts to widen its base of contributed support from individuals as well as corporate, foundation, and government entities. This position is charged with developing and overseeing advancement strategy to generate increasing levels of philanthropy to support the organization’s mission. The Foundation currently raises approximately $2.5 million annually and is targeting to double that amount in the next three to five years.
The Director of Development will provide direction for all fundraising areas, inclusive of annual fund, leadership annual giving, donor engagement, special events, corporate sponsorship, and a robust grants calendar. A particular focus will be building a strong pipeline for multi-year major gifts that will support growth in corporate and individual giving, address capital needs, increase funding for scholarships and advance strategic priorities or special projects. S/he will also be responsible for developing and overseeing marketing and communication strategies, including managing the staff responsible for social media, e-newsletters, website updates and media relations.
In addition to supervising a staff of four, the Director of Development will serve as a primary liaison to the Board of Directors. This person will be responsible for facilitating the dynamic engagement of the Board and various volunteer groups and committees.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Develop strategy and lead a balanced, multi-channel fundraising program that includes an annual fund campaign, special events, individual giving and leadership annual giving programs, major gifts, sponsorship, and institutional giving.
- Manage a portfolio of major donor and sponsorship prospects capable of making gifts of $50,000 or more annually. Develop customized moves management strategies aligned with long-term institutional priorities, and initiate, maintain, and lead all aspects of the fundraising cycle.
- Supervise a team to execute annual strategies, providing coaching and mentoring on best practices in donor recruitment and stewardship.
- Spearhead large-scale fundraising initiatives, such as the annual gala benefit, which raises more than $1,500,000 annually to support our projects and programs and our newly established Golf Tournament, which raised $250,000 last year.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to build on MCF’s current successes and create compelling cases for support for programs aligned with MCF’s commitment to building safe environments, providing access to education, and changing the lives of children and communities in need.
- Maintain positive Board relations and work in partnership with the Board Chairman and all Board members on Board development activities. Prepare KPI reports for and attend all Executive Committee and full Board meetings.
- Serve as a department representative at sponsored concerts and special events, including the Annual Gala and Golf Tournament, and maintain a positive presence at external meetings and events. Work may include some evenings and weekends.
- Oversee the best practice application and use of the organization’s Salesforce database, including prospect/donor tracking, pledge payment management, data analysis and reporting
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness in the nonprofit sector and strengthen MCF’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences
- Create a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow MCF executive and Board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, highlevel external audiences, including the media, public officials, and key influencers
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the sector and organization. Work with the Board and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Manage departmental expense and revenue budgets.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and an excellent verbal and written communicator with strengths in non-profit fundraising, building donor relationships and leadership skills. S/he will have a positive spirit and energy, a good sense of humor, and a flexible/adaptable working style.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in nonprofit/arts administration or related field desirable
- Minimum of 7 years’ progressive fundraising experience, including direct experience managing major, individual, and/or corporate giving initiatives
- Demonstrated track record of achieving financial goals and building donor relationships
- Experience managing teams and large projects
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
- Knowledge of International nonprofit community a plus
- Experience with CRM database; prior experience with Salesforce an advantage
- Must be willing and able to travel locally and regionally to conduct business, and occasional travel within the U.S. and abroad; travel – up to 25% (passport required)
Core Competencies and Other Desirable Traits
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present information clearly and attractively
- Strong capacity for listening and extracting information from others
- Customer service mindset with an ability to foster positive constituent relationships
- Solid work ethic, with a high level of integrity.
- Exceptional prioritization skills, with the ability to multi-task, a keen eye for detail, and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and goals
Maestro Cares Foundation employees are expected to be flexible and to take on additional duties as assigned, according to the organization’s needs and the staff member’s skills and abilities. Because we are a non-profit that serves the community, some events or projects may require an occasional night or weekend.
Schedule: Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm)
MCF offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life, short- and long-term Disability
All in-person employees of the Maestro Cares Foundation must show proof of Covid-19 vaccination, including a booster shot.
Salary and Application details
MCF offers a competitive salary commensurate with the applicant’s skills and experience. Must submit cover letter and writing sample, along with resume, to be considered as an applicant. Email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Development in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS.
Maestro Cares Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Updated September 2022